On the Sparrow from my Village

You little sparrow,
Ha, I could make you out….you are from my village.
That cute little nose and those elfin feathers… betray you.
But then, when I ask you if you have come alone,
Why are you so insolent, taking off without answering me?
As if you only have those dainty feathers?
Reconciling that you might not have noticed me,
I just crossed your way
But, no. You did not give even a cursory look at me.
I don’t know if I had changed with times
Or time had changed me,
You did not recognize me, for sure.
.
Let me make another trial.
Do you remember the other day
When you hurt your nose gory
Pecking at your own image in the mirror?
Can you recall my chasing you jumping on my feet
And catching you in your flight at last?
And when I left you free far off in the open
You teased me by coming home earlier than me?
.
Did you forget your taunting me once more
Playing with your mates on the posts
At the Jasmine garden of Booriyyagaru
When I went there to collect a few flowers
On that festive day
In a silk petticoat, salving my feet with saffron
And wearing ankle bells?
.
Do you remember
Your roaming around the place
When my granny was telling me stories
Picking all the grits thrown at you
By my sister Kamakshi?
.
Isn’t it you who protected the crop
Weeding out the pests in Ramannatata’s farm?
This is exactly how you dissed at me last time
When I wanted to check up with you
The lore I heard about you.
.
Though I left that place you stayed behind.
Maybe, you could not find a mate, like me,
to enchant you out to alien lands.
You were even greeting me
Whenever I came home for festival or vacation.
But suddenly, one day, when my brother Venu said,
“Did you hear, sister?
All the sparrows have disappeared suddenly.
They say, they might have been dead?”
I was so sad and depressed.
When I asked for the reason,
Everybody had given some reason or the other.
And, somebody had said it was due to the use of pesticides.
Well, why could you not convince them
That they were redundant so long as you were there?
.
And now after a long absence
Here in this cold country
In Fall,
You suddenly appeared and delighted me.
Oh! There is a flock around you.
Have you migrated here like me, perchance?
Hey, you are jeering at me in your wont way.
Thank heavens!
Have you recognised me?

*****
మావూర్లో అవతరించిన పిచ్చుకపై …
.
అవును నాకర్థమైపోయిందిలే,
నువ్వొచ్చింది మావూర్నుంచేనని
నీ బుల్లి ముక్కు, బుజ్జి బుజ్జి రెక్కలే నాకు గుర్తులు.
నువ్వొక్కత్తివే వచ్చావేమని పలకరిస్తే,
అవును అలా ఎగిరిపోతావేం
రెక్కలు నీకేవున్నాయని టెక్కా ఏంటి?
ఎందుకంటే కాలం నను మార్చిందో,
కాలంతో నేనే మారానో కానీ,
గమనించలేదేమోనని సరిపెట్టుకుందామన్నా,
మనసాగక నీ ముందుకొచ్చినా తప్పుకునేపోయావ్.
అంటే నువ్వు నన్ను గుర్తు పట్టలేదన్నమాట!
వుండు ఇంకొక ప్రయత్నం చేయనీ,
అద్దంలో నిన్ను చూసుకుని,
పొడిచి పొడిచి ముక్కంతా ఎర్రన చేసుకున్నావని,
గుర్తుందా? నువ్వు రెక్కలతో ఎగిరితే,
నేను కాళ్ళతో ఎగిరెగిరి చివరికి నినుపట్టి,
అల్లంత దూరాన వదిలివస్తే,
నాకన్నా ముందే తిరిగొచ్చి వెక్కిరించావ్.
పండక్కి పట్టూలంగా వేసుకుని,
పారాణి అద్దుకుని,
కాళ్ళగజ్జెలు పెట్టుకుని, పూలు కోసుకోను,
బూరియ్య గారి మల్లె తోటకొస్తే,
పందిరిగుంజలతో,
నీ వాళ్ళనేసుకుని స్తంభాలాటలాడుకుంటూ
మరోసారి వెక్కిరించావ్.
అమ్మమ్మ కాకమ్మ పిచికమ్మాంటూ కథలేవో చెప్తుంటే,
అక్కడక్కడే తిరుగాడుతూ
కామాక్షక్క విసిరిన నూకలన్నీ ఏరేరి తిన్నావ్.
రామన్న తాత పొలంలో నువ్వేనంటగా
పురుగులేరి పంట కాపాడింది,
ఇంకొన్ని విన్నవన్నీ మళ్ళీ నిన్ను
అడిగి తెలుసుకుందామంటే
అదిగో అలాగే వెక్కిరించావ్.
నేవెళ్ళిపోయినా నువ్వక్కడే వుండిపోయావ్,
మరి నీకు అవలేదేమో నాకులా పెళ్ళి.
వేసవికొచ్చినా, ఉగాదికొచ్చినా
కనిపిస్తూనేవున్నవుగా చాన్నాళ్ళు.
వేణు చెప్పాడు విన్నావేంటే అక్కా!
పిచ్చికలు చచ్చిపోయాయంటాని,
ఎంత బాధేసిందో, ఎందుకని అడిగితే
తలో మాటా చెప్పారు,
పురుగుమందుల ప్రభావమన్నారు,
అయినా నువ్వుండగా అవెందుకని
వాళ్ళనెక్కిరించకపోయావ్?
మళ్ళీ ఇంతకాలానికి ఈ చలి దేశంలో,
ఆకు రాలు కాలంలో,
భలేగా కనిపించావే,
బోలెడంత సంబరమైపోయింది.
వెంట పదిమందినేసుకొచ్చావ్,
నాలా వలస వచ్చేసావేంటి?
హమ్మయా గురుతుకొచ్చేసానేంటి,
ఎప్పటిలానే వెక్కిరిస్తున్నావ్?

No comments:

Post a Comment